Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has confirmed the readiness of Bukayo Saka to play as his side prepares to face Fulham in the Premier League on Tuesday.
Saka, who underwent surgery for a hamstring injury in December, has spent a lengthy spell on the sidelines for Arsenal but is fit to return against Fulham.
The 23-year-old sustained a tear to the muscle in his right leg during the first half of Arsenal’s 5-1 win at Crystal Palace.
Arteta’s side have been stung by injuries this season with forwards Gabriel Martinelli, Kai Havertz and Gabriel Jesus all facing long spells out for their respective injuries.
However, Riccardo Calafiori will not be available to play against Fulham.
“Bukayo is ready to go,” Arteta said on the eve of Tuesday’s match against Fulham.
“All the careful things are already done so now it’s about putting him on the grass in the right moments. But he’s pushing because he really wants to.
READ ALSO: Real Madrid Coach Ancelotti To Face Trial For Alleged Tax Fraud
“We have respected the timeframe and we have done everything and we had to hold him back, even. He is ready to go.”
Arteta confirmed he will be out for “a matter of weeks” after suffering an injury over the international break with Italy.
Asked whether Saka, who had hamstring surgery in December, could start against eighth-place Fulham at the Emirates, the Arsenal boss replied: “Yeah, yeah.”
Arteta added: “Bukayo is a massive weapon. We know the impact that he has had in the team and how important his role and his contribution is to our success. It’s great to have him back.”
Saka’s return comes as a boost for Arsenal as they bid to win their first Champions League title.
Arsenal are second in the Premier League, 12 points behind Liverpool with just nine games to go and realistically out of the title race.
But they are through to the Champions League quarter-finals and host Real Madrid in the first leg of their tie on April 8.
The return of Saka is a huge boost for Arteta, who has been short of firepower in recent weeks, with Kai Havertz and Gabriel Jesus out of action with long-term injuries.
The Spaniard said Saka’s return would be a huge lift for Arsenal.
“It’s more the energy that he transmits, that he’s missed the thing that he loves the most in his life, which is to be around the team, to play, to train, and to compete at the highest level,” he said.
“The fact that he’s able to come in the most important part of the season is a massive boost for him and the team as well.
“He hasn’t played for three months, but has played for the last 48 months. So three in 48 is a very small percentage.”
Arteta said Jurrien Timber is available after a bout of illness but fellow defender Riccardo Calafiori faces a spell on the sidelines after picking up a knee injury on international duty for Italy.
The Arsenal boss spoke in glowing terms about the club’s new sporting director Andrea Berta, whose appointment was confirmed on Sunday.
The 53-year-old Italian, who previously worked at Atletico Madrid, succeeds the Gunners’ former midfielder Edu in the role.
“We certainly believe that he is someone who is going to impact the club,” said Arteta.
“And he’s got that experience, he’s got this personality as well, this charisma, and… will to win. That is going to be very contagious.”