Friday, April 4, 2025
HomeEntertainmentNigerian Boxer Slumps, Dies Inside Boxing Ring In Ghana

Nigerian Boxer Slumps, Dies Inside Boxing Ring In Ghana

A Nigerian boxer, Segun ‘Success’ Olanrewaju, on Saturday, died in Ghana during a boxing bout.

Olarenwaju was a former National and West African light-heavyweight champion.

He was competing against Ghanaian boxer, Jon Mbanugu, also known as “Jon Power,” who holds a record of 12 wins, one loss, and one draw, with 12 knockouts at Fight Night 15 of the Ghana Professional Boxing League at Bukom Boxing Arena when he suddenly lost consciousness.

Reports indicate that he was ahead on points before the unfortunate incident occurred.

Olanrewaju had landed two weak punches on his opponent before Mbanugu responded with a right hand to the Nigerian’s face. After a brief impasse between both men, the Nigerian boxer staggered backwards, fell against the ropes and collapsed, to the disbelief of the fans.

A widely circulated video on social media captures the moment he collapsed in the ring, further shocking fans and the boxing community.

The Nigerian fighter slumped on his side as the referee began the mandatory count. Moments later, he turned face down, with his throat resting against one of the ropes.

His team rushed into the ring, placed him on the canvas, removed his gum shield, and attempted to resuscitate him as he appeared to be gasping for breath. The on-site emergency medical team quickly transported him to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Following this tragic incident, the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control says boxer Segun ‘Success’ Olanrewaju, was not granted approval for the fatal bout after his initial fight scheduled for Friday was cancelled after being adjudged overweight.

According to Aboderin, ‘Success’ decided to fight the next day so he could make some money to clear his debts back home.

READ ALSO: Real Madrid Coach Ancelotti To Face Trial For Alleged Tax Fraud

Nigerian Boxer Slumps, Dies Inside Boxing Ring In Ghana

“Segun got our approval to fight in Ghana, a fight that was proposed to take place on a Friday. Unfortunately, they did weigh-in on Thursday and he was found to be overweight and they told him the person he was to fight was not his weight.

“They said to do this, they would increase his purse with another $500, which he said was too small, and due to that, there was no agreement.”

“However on their way back to Lagos on saturday morning, Segun said to the coach that followed him, that’s Diran Alamu, that it was not going to be easy returning home; he left Nigeria with no money and he had debts to pay and needed money. So, he wanted to call the Ghanaians and see if another fight was coming up and told them he was now ready to collect the additional $500 as discussed because he felt it would not pay him if he returned home without money.

“So, they called the matchmaker, who informed him that there was a fight on Saturday night and that they could put the fight for that Saturday, but we didn’t give him the approval for that, and this is where the GBA (Ghana Boxing Association) erred. So, he turned back and went back to Ghana because he needed the money; he owed a lot of people money,” the NBBofC secretary added.

Furthermore, according to Olanrewaju’s trainer, Coach Babatunde Ojo, the boxer was adviced against fighting on short notice.

“He (Olanrewaju) told me they gave him a fight last week. After he informed me, I told him, ‘the fight was at short notice, you are not training and you want to go, you can’t go, leave this fight for a better offer,’” Ojo said.

“He initially told me the fight was on April 1, but he called later to say it was no longer next month but on March 29. So, I told him that it was at short notice but if he wanted us to go together, he should tell the organisers to book flights so we could go there and come back together. He called them and when he got back to me, he said they told him they would get him a car that would take him to Ghana. I said no, that’s not possible. So, he knew I didn’t want him to go.

“After that, he called me that they (NBBofC) had given him a release letter (for the fight). I didn’t hear from him afterwards, so I called him. He said he had been called again for the fight and was going that night. I told him, ‘Success, don’t you think this fight is too early?’ He said he would call me back. The next time I called him, he said he was on his way (to Ghana), and he didn’t call me because he knew I wouldn’t allow him go. That was why he didn’t tell me. He is an adult, so, I could not stop him.

“Now we have this situation, these are the things I advise my boxers against; you can’t pick a fight at short notice, you need at least one month. I am very saddened by his loss; may his soul rest in peace,” Ojo added.

Olanrewaju, a highly respected figure in Nigerian boxing, held both National and West African light-heavyweight titles during his career.

His contributions to the sport have been widely recognized, with tributes pouring in from colleagues, fans, and sports officials who remember him for his dedication and impact on boxing in Nigeria and West Africa.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular